Sunday, September 14, 2008

My First DSLR!

It is time for GEAR-TALK! *grin* I have been 'playing' with DSLR since December 2006. Before that, I was using point & shoot cameras to take daily personal shots.

My first camera was SONY Cybershot DSC-S75; a 3.3 megapixel camera. Well, it was not actually my camera. *shy* It belongs to my eldest brother. He loaned me the camera for my trip to Medan, Indonesia. It was somewhere back in 2002. It was an awesome camera. It was powered with 64MB Memory Stick™. Yes, 64MB of storage. Back then, a high capacity Memory Stick™ will cost you a kidney! OK, I did exagerated a bit. *laugh* But it was expensive back then.

My second camera was SONY Cybershot DSC-N1; a 8.0 megapixel camera with touch screen feature which I bought somewhere in 2006. *grin* It cost me around RM1600 for the camera, 2GB Memory Stick™ and a leather casing. It was a great camera. Colors from the camera are superb. But like other point & shoot cameras, it is only good when you have a good amount of lights. Don't expect too much when taking indoor shots or in low-light conditions. It served me well until one fine day, someone accidentally dropped it while taking photo of the Golden Gate Bridge, SF.

After many sleepless nights, I have decided to go for DSLR. I did some studies & readings over the Internet and asked people who owned one. It is important to get a good DSLR for a good start. After a few weeks, I have decided to get myself a Nikon D50; a 6.1 megapixel DSLR. I also got myself a decent kit lens; Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-f/4.5 which is actually a kit-lens for Nikon D70s. To complete my starting kit, I got myself an external flash unit; Nikon SB-600. The whole set (including 2GB Sandisk Ultra II SD card, Lowepro Nova 2 shoulder bag & a few accessories) cost me about USD1000; which I bought online from B&H Photo Video.

So, there you go; my very first DSLR. A few key notes that you need to be aware of when you plan to get your first DSLR. A good complete starting DSLR would be consisted of
1. A decent basic DSLR
2. A decent lens that can produce good image quality
3. An external flash unit (don't depends on the built-in flash as it is not flexible to cater your needs)

0 shouted back:

  • Post a Comment